Thursday, May 13, 2010

On political ethics

Some years ago, my wife and I went to see a band at a place called The Palms. During the break, we went outside for some air. This guy walked up and started hassling me about the 2002 DA race. He was shouting: “You screwed up the campaign in 2002. You could have taken Ramsey down. You didn’t go for the jugular!”

I knew the fellow, because I had represented him during criminal proceedings before the 2002 campaign. Ironically, he lacked the capacity to vote because of his prison record. Nonetheless, I knew exactly what he was getting at: I had been aware of certain rumors concerning Ramsey’s family, and I chose not to address or employ those rumors in my 2002 campaign.

I’ll say it again: I’m not doing politics as usual. My own personal book of ethics decrees that there are certain areas that should not be ventured into. You shouldn’t mention a candidate’s race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or skin color. You shouldn’t discuss your opponent’s height, weight, or medical condition. You should avoid all references to bedroom, bathroom and medicine cabinet.

On the other hand, Mike Ramsey has been District Attorney for a generation, which makes him into a public figure. He has transformed the office into a reflection of himself. That means that his narcissistic attraction to the television camera is open to comment, as well as his ghoulish tendency to share gory details of high–profile cases.

But back to ethics: First and foremost, never disparage a candidate’s family.
It has now come to my attention that a certain comment regarding Ramsey’s kin has been posted on the FaceBook page of Lance Daniel.

I am no fan of Mike Ramsey. At the moment, he is my “political enemy.” But I condemn anyone who would smear Ramsey’s family. Only a loser would seek victory with such tactics. We don’t do politics that way in our county.